The Miracle of the Splitting of the Moon by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
In this article, we will explain how the miracle of the splitting of the moon, which is blatant evidence of a Qur’anic verse, occurred and was recorded in every reliable hadith as well as in the Sirah sources at the degree of Mutawatir Malawi. We will also attempt to address any queries that readers may have about the miracle of the splitting of the moon.
How did the Miracle of the Splitting of the Moon happen?
Before the migration to Medina, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) performed the miracle of the splitting of the moon with the permission of God in response to the demands of the polytheists, as related by many of his companions, including Anas b. Malik, Hz. Ali, Huzayfa b. Yaman, Abdullah b. Mas’ud, Abdullah b. Abbas, Abdullah b. Umar (May Allah be pleased with all of them).
Among the polytheists of the Quraish, Walid b. Mughira, Abu Jahl. As b. Wail, As b. Hisham, Aswad b. Abdi Yaghus, Aswad b. Muttalib, Zama b. Aswad, Nadr b. Harith, and others stated to the prophet Muhammad (PBUH):
“If you truly are a Prophet that has been appointed by Allah, then split the moon in half. Let it be in such a way that one half will appear over Mount Abu Qubais and the other half will be seen over Mount Quayqian.”
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) inquired:
“If I do it, will you become Muslims?”
Answered the polytheists:
“Yes, we will.”
The prophet Muhammad (PBUH) asked Almighty Allah to grant him the miracle that the polytheists requested from him on the fourteenth night when there was a full moon.
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was told by Gabriel (AS) that God had heard his prayer, and he told the Meccans about it. On the fourteenth night, the polytheists saw the splitting of the moon.
The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) shouted at Muslims when Almighty God caused the moon to split in half, with one half standing over Mount Abu Qubais and the other half over Mount Quayqian:
“O Abu Salama b. Abdulasad! Arqam b. Abi’l Erqam! Bear witness!”
And he said to the polytheists, “Bear witness! So and so!
But, the polytheists said, “This is one of the spells of Abu Kabsha’s Son.” “The son of Abu Kabsha cast a spell on you!” They said, “Muhammad cast a spell on us!”
While some of them said:
“If Muhammad had cast a spell on us then, He couldn’t have cast a spell on everyone! Let us ask the wayfarers who came from the surrounding areas if they saw what we saw.”
People who had traveled from everywhere were questioned.
“Yes! We also did see the moon in that state! We saw the moon as split! ” The moon had been split, they had said. There was not a single person who had not told them about the moon split among those who had traveled from all over to witness it.
The polytheists, however, denied being Muslims and accepting Islam by saying:
“This is a prevalent magic!”, they said “Abu Talib’s orphan affected the sky with his spell!”.
Almighty Allah mentions this miracle in chapter al-Qamar as follows:
“The hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and
The moon is cleft asunder.
But if they see a Sign, they turn away, and say
“This is (but) transient magic.”
They reject (the warning) and follow their (own) lusts but every matter has its appointed time.
There have already come to them Recitals wherein there is (enough) to check (them),
Mature wisdom― but (the preaching of) Warners profits them not.”
An Explanation for the Miracle of the Splitting of the Moon
We want to respond to any queries you might have on the splitting of the moon. Do you believe in the miracle of the dividing of the moon? Why does the splitting of the moon not appear in historical records? Why is there no sign of the moon’s splitting now, despite scientific advancement? If the splitting event had actually taken place, a sign of it ought to have been visible on the surface. We will provide a five-point response to the first part of this two-part optioned question before providing the response to the second portion.
Has the Miracle of the Splitting of the Moon actually happened? Why does the splitting of the moon not appear in historical records?
The moon-splitting miracle was performed in front of several polytheists who had rejected the God-sent Messenger in order to persuade them of the veracity of his cause with God’s approval. We shall make an effort to elucidate why it is not mentioned in historical records using the following examples:
1) The miracle of the splitting of the moon is one that is referenced in the first verses of the surah of al-Qamar in the Qur’an, as well as in all books of Islamic history and Sirah sources. None of the obstinate polytheists who saw this miracle and rejected the Qur’an did so, although they did attempt to dismiss it by labeling it “Magic!” There is no evidence to suggest that this incident didn’t take place in the past. If this miracle hadn’t happened, polytheists who didn’t mind using even a little incident against Islam to disparage it would have undoubtedly refuted this historical fact that is recorded in the Qur’an and history. Their inability to refute the claim demonstrates that there is no question regarding the event’s occurrence.
2) Renowned academics like Taftazani stated,
“The miracle of the splitting of the moon is a mutawatir event just like the water flowing down from his fingers, the dry wooden stud that the Prophet leaned against while reciting sermons in the mosque crying due to leaving the Prophet and the whole congregation hearing it.  That is, it was reported by such a big congregation that it is impossible for them to agree to lie about something. We are sure that a comet called Halley was seen from the world and recorded by historians a thousand years ago because people transmitted that information through centuries; that is, it is mutawatir; we are sure that there is a country called Sri Lanka only by hearing its name though we have not seen it; similarly, the splitting of the moon is mutawatir.
It is stupid to doubt or suspect such a certain issue. It is not something impossible. The splitting of the moon is possible like the breakup of a mountain due to a volcanic eruption.
3) Miracles are shown to persuade people who do not believe in a prophet. If they had forced unbelievers to believe, it would have been contrary to the mystery of testing. Therefore, if the moon had remained in two parts for such a long time as to make it possible for everybody to see after being split, it would have caused everybody to believe and the mystery of testing would have been eliminated. Or, it would have been recorded as an ordinary celestial incident. Therefore, the miracle of the splitting of the moon was shown at night all of a sudden to the polytheists and companions who were present there.
Thus, The polytheists and their companions were suddenly shown the miracle of the splitting of the moon during the night.
4) The question “Why was the incidence of the splitting of the moon not mentioned in the history of other nations” can cross your thoughts. This incident happened at night. Since it was daytime in the other half of the world, it is understandable that it was not visible there. Furthermore, given that Europeans were known for their ignorance and savagery, it is understandable that it is not referenced in their history. It might not have been visible in certain spots because to the fog and overcast weather.
Even if some people witness such a thing, they won’t believe what they see and won’t be able to convince others to believe it, thus it won’t be included in history books.
In conclusion, we can say:
1) The assertions made by the companions, who stand for truth and justice, that this incident occurred,
2) The consensus of many tafsir scholars is that this episode is what inspired the line “the moon is cleft asunder” in the Quran
3) The accounts provided by hadith experts who cite trustworthy sources to support this episode,
4) The information that this incident occurred from all the saints who can learn about unknown things and be motivated by them,
5) The validation of the incident by numerous scholars, specialists, and kalam imams, who typically have quite different opinions,
6) The Ummah of Muhammad, who never concurred on wrongdoing, believed that this episode occurred.
Clearly demonstrates that the moon was split.
Why, despite the fact that science has advanced so much, hasn’t a sign of the splitting of the moon been discovered yet?
The bruises or wounds on our bodies heal without leaving any signs; the cracks that emerge on the Earth dissolve over time without leaving any traces; therefore, it is entirely reasonable that the power that created the moon may remove the split that he created as a miracle.
On the other hand, there is evidence of a cleft running from the top to the bottom in the middle of the moon, as noted by the late Muhammad Hamidullah, a prominent Islamic scholar. This gap, which the astronomers called “Hadley Rille,” is nearly a mile (1,000,600 meters) broad. Newspapers at the time covered the Apollo 15 crew’s investigation into that cleft.
This was the incident of the Miracle of the Splitting of the Moon by Prophet Muhammad as mentioned in the Quran and Hadith. May we learn something valuable from this account and strengthen our Iman. Read more Islamic Blogs or follow us on social media for Islamic reminders